- Cannot find the information you need?
- Have a question?
- Not sure how to make a complaint?
- Need support to get access?
SignHealth can help. Contact our Access Adviser service. We can answer your questions, support you and help improve your access.
Making a complaint
If you’re not happy with your access to health services, you can make a complaint. You can do this on your own or our Access Adviser can help you.
On your own
- Get as much information as you can from the SignHealth website and the NHS England website.
- Contact SignHealth’s Access Advice service if you want to ask a question or check information.
- Explain to the service what the problem is, e.g. they have not asked about your communication needs or are not providing what you have asked for. If you’re in hospital this may mean complaining to the nurse in charge of the ward. If you are unhappy with your GP, you could complain to the practice manager.
- If you are still unhappy with your access, think about making a complaint to the organisation that commissions the service. For a hospital this will probably be the local Clinical Commissioning Group. For a GP this will probably be NHS England. If you’re not sure how to do this, contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) for advice.
- If you’re still unhappy with the way your complaint is being handled, contact the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.
- At any stage of your complaint, you can contact SignHealth’s Access Adviser for help.
Our Access Adviser is here to help. If you are having a problem getting good access then we can:
- Contact the service on your behalf and explain to them what they should be doing.
- If they don’t improve we can make an official complaint.
- If the response to the complaint is poor we can take things higher. If need be, we can take the service to court.
At each stage we will check that you’re happy with what is happening.
Tell us about your access
Remember to let us know about your experience of the Accessible Information Standard. Has it improved your access? Have there been problems? SignHealth is monitoring the success of the Standard and we need information from as many deaf people as possible to make the Standard even better.
You can send us your feedback via BSL video or email to You can also give your feedback to our Access Adviser .
Click on the green buttons below to see more information in BSL and English.