The Child Accident Prevention Trust is warning parents of the dangers of button batteries if swallowed by children.
Button batteries and lithium coin batteries are the small, round batteries used in a number of everyday objects including toys, remote controls, hearing aids, watches and car key fobs. Lithium batteries are most dangerous. If swallowed, they can kill within hours.
Most button batteries will pass through the body without a problem but if it one gets stuck in a child’s throat it can cause serious injuries. Chemicals from the battery causes the body to create caustic soda, which can burn a hole through the throat, leading to serious internal bleeding and even death.
If your child swallows a button battery you must act fast:
- Take them straight to A & E or dial 999 for an ambulance (remember, to use the 999 text service you must register your phone first. Please visit the Emergency page on our website for instructions.
- Tell the doctor that your child has swallowed a button battery.
- Do not allow your child to eat or drink.
- Do not make them sick.
- Do not wait to see if any symptoms develop.
Source: The Child Accident Prevention Trust
Photo credit: Yoppy