Asthma can start at any age. It is difficult to know what causes asthma, but so far we know that:
– if one or both of your parents have asthma you are more likely to have it
– many aspects of modern lifestyles — such as changes in housing – and diet and a more hygienic environment — may have added to the rise in asthma
– smoking during pregnancy increases the chance of a child developing asthma
– being exposed to cigarette smoke increases the chance of developing asthma
irritants in the workplace such as dust and chemicals may lead to a person developing asthma
– environmental pollution can make asthma symptoms worse.
These videos about asthma and living with it were made by Asthma UK.
For more information on asthma, visit asthma.org.uk[clear-line]