Why BSL Healthy Minds?
In 2006 the Department of Health set up psychological therapy treatment centres all over England for people with mild to moderate mental health issues such as depression and anxiety. These centres are known as Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) services.
Unfortunately, people whose first or preferred language is British Sign Language
(BSL), were not able to access the treatment centres because staff did
not have the experience of working within the Deaf community or were not
fluent in BSL. This meant that Deaf people were disadvantaged from accessing this new initiative, so
the British Society for Mental Health and Deafness and SignHealth worked
with the Department of Health to make some really important changes.
From 2011, SignHealth has been working together with the NHS to provide a BSL IAPT service 'BSL Healthy Minds'. The service is now available in the following regions:
- These CCGs are covered by the service, just click to refer: NHS Northumberland CCG | NHS North Tyneside CCG | NHS Newcastle North & East CCG | NHS Newcastle West CCG | NHS Gateshead CCG | NHS South Tyneside CCG | NHS Sunderland CCG | NHS North Durham CCG | NHS Durham Dales | Easlington & Sedgefield CCG | NHS Darlington CCG | NHS Hartlepool & Stockton-on-Tees CCG | NHS South Tees CCG
- Leeds South and East CCG | Leeds West CCG | Leeds North CCG | Bradford City CCG | Bradford Districts CCG | Airedale | Wharfedale | Craven CCG | Calderdale CCG | Greater Huddersfield CCG | North Kirklees CCG | Wakefield CCG | Hull CCG | East Riding of Yorkshire CCG | North East Lincs CCG | North Lincolnshire CCG | Harrogate & Rural District CCG | Scarborough and Ryedale CCG | Hambleton | Richmondshire & Whitby CCG | Vale of York CCG | Barnsley CCG | Bassetlaw CCG | Doncaster CCG | Rotherham CCG | Sheffield CCG
- Rushcliffe CCG | Nene CCG | Nottingham City CCG | Lincolnshire West CCG | Lincolnshire East CCG | South Lincolnshire CCG | Hardwick CCG | North Derbyshire CCG | East Leicestershire & Rutland CCG | West Leicestershire CCG | Nottingham West CCG | Newark & Sherwood CCG | Erewash CCG | Corby CCG | Leicester City CCG | Mansfield & Ashfield CCG | Nottingham North & East CCG | Milton Keynes CCG | South West Lincolnshire CCG | Southern Derbyshire CCG
Wigan Borough CCG | Bolton CCG | Bury CCG | Heywood | Middleton & Rochdale CCG | North Manchester CCG | Central Manchester CCG | South Manchester CCG | Oldham CCG | Salford CCG | Stockport CCG | Tameside & Glossop CCG | Trafford CCG | Liverpool CCG | Blackburn with Darwen CCG | Blackpool CCG | Greater Preston CCG | Chorley & South Ribble CCG | West Lancashire CCG | East Lancashire CCG | Lancashire North CCG | Fylde & Wyre CCG
- Ashford | Canterbury & Coastal | Darford | Gravesham and Swanley | Medway | South Kent Coast (covering Deal, Ash, Sandwich, Dover and Shepway) | Swale | Thanet | West Kent | Brighton and Hove CCG | Coastal West Sussex CCG | Crawley CCG | East Surrey CCG | Eastbourne| Hailsham and Seaford CCG | Guildford and Waverley CCG | Hastings and Rother CCG | High Weald Lewes Havens CCG | Horsham and Mid Sussex CCG | North West Surrey CCG | Surrey Downs CCG | Surrey Heath CCG Farnham (part of North East Hants and Farnham CCG)
Please check our map to see if your local area is covered by BSL Healthy Minds. Don't worry if it is not as we also run a counselling service which may be able to offer therapy.
To refer yourself to BSL Healthy Minds:
1) Find where you live on the map;
2) If your area is marked in bright colour, 'REFER YOURSELF' and complete the on-line GREEN referral form (BSL Healthy Minds);
3) If your area is marked in grey colour, contact us by SMS or EMAIL (SignHealth Psychological Therapy Service);
SMS: 07966 976747
Fax: 01494 687622
- What is BSL Healthy Minds?
- How can the service help you?
- What happens in a session?
- Is this right for you?
- What you can do to help yourself