Don’t wait until you need to call, it will be too late.
Do it now.
How to register
Write an SMS text which just says “register” and send it to 999.
They will reply with a message telling you more about the service.
When you’ve read their message reply with “yes”.
Shortly afterwards you will get another reply message. This one will say you are now registered, or tell you there is a problem and how to solve it.
Information needed in a 999 text
Do you want fire, police or ambulance?
In just a few words, what is happening?
Where is help needed? Give the full address if you can, or a street name and landmark. Make it easy for the emergency services to find you.
If you do need to make a 999 text the emergency service will text you back. It might take two minutes for them to do that. If you haven’t heard anything in three minutes, text again.
• Life is at risk
• Crime/trouble is happening now
• Someone is injured or threatened
• Person committing crime is near
• There is a fire or people trapped
• You need an ambulance urgently
• Someone is in trouble, or missing, at sea
• Someone is in trouble on the cliffs or on the shore
How to use emergency SMS – BSL video from Nottinghamshire Police